Assignment: Evaluating Research
There are two main types of research: primary and secondary. In primary research, you collect your own data to analyze a topic of interest. For this Assignment, you will be conducting secondary research. In secondary research, you research information already collected by a primary researcher. Performing secondary research includes evaluating existing literature for strengths, limitations, and ethical considerations. When evaluating literature, think about questions such as the following:
- Were the author’s interpretations and conclusions supported by the evidence he or she presented?
- Was there any apparent bias?
- Were there other ways that specific data could be interpreted other than how the author approached it?
- Were any important variables left out of the study?
- Was every assertion supported by fact?
- Did the text use reliable resources?
(Walden University Writing Center, 2009, p. 1)
When conducting secondary research, you have the responsibility of evaluating your own research to avoid ethical issues.